Friday, September 5, 2008

Honcho Unayoshi -eel@Mishima- Izu Gourmet Guide

Honcho Unayoshi is one of the 3 famous eel restaurants in Mishima and it has two branches although there is no actual relationship between them.
We went to the one in Honcho and its entrance was quite small and not very well lit, so it could be easily missed by passers by. As It is famous and there are often queues in front of the store we went early for lunch at 11:20.
There were already customers in the restaurant and there is seating for 8 on the first and for 20 plus six on tatami mat on the second floor. The customers are mainly business men who may come from the station by foot. The prices are a little higher than average and the service is nothing special. The menu prices on the wall all look very new which indicate that 2,300 yen for the regular una-don, 3,100 yen for the large and 4,000 yen for the extra large serve.

My companion ordered white steamed eel with no sauce which was served with rice, soup and pickles.
They gave me a taste and at first I tried it with no soy sauce. It was nice a little spongy and not to heavy. With soy sauce and wasabi, it was even better and I recommend that you try it this way.

I ordered the extra large una-don which is actually a double layer with rice eel more rice and more eel. It takes about 20 minutes to prepare and the staff were doubtful that I could eat it all.
When it arrived, the bowl cover could barely fit on the bowl and sause orange pieces were served for dessert.
It looked very big but when I tasted it the flavor was great and it was cooked perfectly if you like strong salty tasting food and rice sauces I recommend this highly. It tasted so that while at first I was a little doubtful my self about being able to finish it, I did so easily and with pleasure.
I knew I had really has e enough given the amount of people that have to walk for a seat I think the restaurant should provide more comfortable waiting areas.
The restaurant also offers sashimi and tempura which I would like to taste in the future.

Overall I recommend this restaurant and will certainly go there again.

written by


Honcho Unayoshi
Address:1-37, Honcho, Mishima
Tel:+81-55-975-0499
URL:http://www.honcho-unayoshi.co.jp/
Budget:3,000 yen
Open:11:00am~9:00pm
Closed:open 365 days a year
Overall evaluation:
Taste:
Atmosphere:
Service:
Value for money:

Please see a page here about detailed information on WIREDiCON.

No comments: