Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Coo -Japanese@Mishima- Izu Gourmet Guide

Coo is owned by the same owner of the popular K's Diner which is a restaurant on the south side of Mishima station.
Coo has a very sophisticated and chic appearance from the outside so it would be a great place for a first date.

I went to Coo on a Sunday and all the tables were full so the waiter led me to a counter seat.
The counter is a large circular solid timber structure lined with bottles of many different kinds.
It was January 15th when we went so on the counter was a very large traditional Japanese New year's rice cake known as "Kagamimochi".
In most Japanese restaurants you find many kinds of rice wine and shochu but at Coo you also find a large range of plum liquer and other unusual liquers that you can order for 1,000 yen a glass.
The concept behind this restaurant is a Japanese bar style cafe where you can enjoy drinking and eating as well as just eating if you like.
As I had driven I ordered hot tea and while I was looking at the menu the waitress served me the traditional small appetizer you get at Japanese bars with hot water as I had not ordered any alcohol.
I was surprised to recieve the appetizer as you usually only get it when you order alcohol and it is not free twhich made the fact that it didn't taste very good even worse.

















I ordered Korean flavored calpacho with raw octopus, spring onion and black pepper.
The octopus was excellent and I enjoyed it a lot.












Next I had sea bream on top of "ochazuke" which is tea flavoured rice soup. It wasn't particulary good and I wondered why I was given a trice dish second as I still had a number of other dishes to come.
Normally in multi course dinners, rice is given towards the end so as not to fill you up.


Next I was served more rice this time with the basil like Japanese herb shiso on top as well as miso soup.
I was again disappointed with this dish and while we were still eating it we were served our next dish of potato croquettes.
These were actually delicious and we enjoyed them a lot.












After that we had a "yakitori" or skewered grilled chicken set.
It included some unsual things like skewered tomato wrapped in bacon, skewered rice cake wrapped in pork, and skewered minced chicken wrapped in Japanese basil.
These creations were originals of this restaurant but I prefer traditional style "yakitori" cooked over charcoal.













The atmosphere and service at this restaurant is good and if you like unusual or original dishes you would probably enjoy the food.
I like more traditional style cooking so I don't quite understand the concept behind Coo but as the lunch menu offers good value at 1,000 yen I would like to go back at lunch time and try this restaurant again.













written by




Coo
Address:3-2, Ichiban-cho, Numazu
Tel:+81-55-981-7752
http://www.zen-inc.jp/coo/tennai.html
Budget:Lunch 1,500 yen Dinner 3,000 yen
Open:11:30am~2:00pm,5:00pm~0:00am
Closed:Mon.
Overall evaluation:
Taste:
Atmosphere:
Service:
Value for money:

Please see a page here about detailed information on WIREDiCON.

No comments: