Friday, August 22, 2008

Sugimoto -Soba@Numazu- Izu Gourmet Guide

Sugimoto is in a traditional single story Japanese building that was built over 60 years ago.
It is in Numazu near the North side of the station.


The entrance is huge and is almost a room in itself with the decor making me feel like I was in a time warp back to the early Showa period of about fifty years ago.















The menu is quite basic but not so cheap being about 1,500 yen and from the amount of soba that I saw another customer served I realised that the standard size would not be enough.

We therefore ordered a large size tempura soba and a large size duck soba which each cost 200 yen extra.

Before going I read a review on the net, that recommended the tamago yaki at this place so I also ordered it for 800yen.



It keenly anticipated the tamago yaki as the reviewer said it was so good.
It was served first and was five pieces accompanied with grated white radish and radish sprouts.
I was very disappointed with its flavour as it was quite tasteless and not worth the 160 per piece.






Next came the soba which I hoped would make up for the tamago yaki which was very average indeed.
The tempura soba consisted of 2 shrimps, egg plant and onion as well as the noodles themselves.


It seemed like there could have been more tempura but the soba itself was meant to be the highlight.
The soba soup had a very rich flavour but was a little too salty for my taste although the noodles were quite good.

I found the soup too overpowering however I have been told that soba experts usually eat the soba at first with no soup at all and then only dip it in for one second or so which could mean that this shop is suitable for them.

The decor and gardens around the restaurant are very pleasant but I found the food to be disapponting kinder.

written by





Sugimoto
Address:4-35, Honda-machi,Numazu
Tel:+81-55-921-8468
http://www.at-s.com/bin/guru/GURU0040.asp?yid=E688609904
Budget:2,000 yen
Open:Weekday:11:30am~3:00pm,Weekend:11:30am~8:00pm
Closed:Mon.
Overall evaluation:
Taste:
Atmosphere:
Service:
Value for money:

Please see a page here about detailed information on WIREDiCON.

No comments: