Tuesday, September 2, 2008

San Marino -Italian@Numazu- Izu Gourmet Guide

San Marino is one of the oldest Italian restaurants in Numazu and is famous for its handmade pasta. It is down near the port and my friend recommended it which is why I went. It is situated amongst houses and it looks like a traditional Italian house from the outside. Once I entered I was surprised by the Asian style music which contradicted the strongly Italian themed décor.

The menu offers a wide rane of dishes from a la carte to pizza, pasta and set menus and I chose a set called ‘cantare’. My companion ordered handmade pasta ‘Fresco’.










When we placed our order the waitress called out our selections to the chef in a very Italian sounding voice which made us think that food to come would be very good and authentic.









My first course was complimentary and was roast duck with olive oil.
It matched the wine we ordered perfectly and was a great starter.

Next was smoked salmon, meat loaf and olives with semi-dried tomato on bread. The olives and semi-dried tomato tasted of vinegar and were very good indeed.
After that our pasta arrived with mine being bacon and cabbage with salt and pepper. I was disappointed with mine as it was too salty and didn’t have much flavor.
In contrast the fresco was a delicious subtle mix of fresh flavors including tomato, spinach, salt, pepper and garlic.
Next was the set menu meat dish which was fillet steak with mashed potato and foie gras served with Madera liqueur sauce accompanied by a fresh garden salad.
The meat was tender and the mashed potato tasted a bit like ‘kamaboko’ which is a Japanese traditional fish dish. I think if Italians went to this restaurant they might be quite surprised by this dish.
For dessert in the ‘cantare’ set is panna cotta, cheese cake and sherbet.
The pasta course dessert is the same but with gataue instead of cheese cake.
The desserts looked good but were a little too sweet for my taste but I did enjoy the sherbet.

When we paid the bill the chef came out to greet us. He looked very professional and made me think that I would like to come back and try his pizza someday.


written by





San Marino
Address:12-7, Yoshida-cho, Numazu
Tel:+81-55-931-7466
http://www.at-s.com/bin/yell/yell0020.asp?id=E753746095
Budget:Lunch 2,000 yen Dinner 2,500 yen
Open:Weekday:11:00am~2:00pm、5:00pm~9:00pm
Closed:Mon.
Overall evaluation:
Taste:
Atmosphere:
Service:
Value for money:

Please see a page here about detailed information on WIREDiCON.

No comments: