Friday, August 15, 2008

Futaba sushi -Sushi@Numazu- Izu Gourmet Guide

Futaba sushi is near Numazu fish market and is a very traditional style sushi restaurant where long queues of people always eagerly wait for the 11:00 am opening time.

The outside of the building looks like an old style Japanese shop and is an indication of how long this famous restaurant has operated for.
My point in going to Futaba sushi was to find out exactly why it has been so successful for so long.
We went after 1:00 pm and the counter seats were all full so we had to sit at a table.

I ordered the top of the range sushi course which was a very reasonably priced 2,310. Before the sushi I was served tea which I have found to be good at just about every sushi restaurant I've been to.

My sushi was served very quickly after I ordered which was good as I was hungry.
The first sushi I tried was the "toro" or fatty tuna which was delicious and melted in my mouth.
Next, I ate the amberjack sushi which I don't usually like but it was so fresh I enjoyed it.
I followed this with the cooked shrimp, tuna and squid sushi.
The shrimp was big, sweet and had a firm fresh texture that was excellent.

Next I had the conga sushi which had a roasted outer layer which was quite crispy and a delicious tender and sweet interior.

It is often said that a sushi restaurants worth is measured by the quality of its tamago yaki.

Futaba sushi tamago yaki was so large that I couldn't see the rice under it and was so soft sweet and delicious that I don't think I could ever make it so well myself.

After the egg sushi I had salmon egg sushi which was wrapped in dried seaweed.

The contrast between the crispy seaweed and the soft salmon eggs made it very enjoyable.

I finished my first sushi course with tuna and cucumber sushi rolls which were also good but I found that i was still hungry.

I then ordered another course but this time the middle of the range which doesn't include fatty tuna but has all the other sushi that I just had.

It was also very reasonably priced at 1,575 yen.
I think that most people would need to eat more than just one course to have enough for lunch.


The pickled ginger is made fresh every day and is worth mentioning.

The chef told me the recipe which is to first slice the ginger very thinly and then in winter you pour hot water over the ginger to soften it.

After that you squeeze all the water from the ginger and you pour sweet vonegar over the ginger. It's simple.

After eating at Futaba Sushi the reason for its long term success seemed quite clear.It's tradition of always serving the highest quality fresh fish combined with friendly service, and not changing the recipes or price means that it's likely that it will continue to be successful for many years to come.

Other restaurants let fame go to their heads but Futaba sushi's attention to detail and traditional approach make it an excellent value for money sushi restaurant.

It's worth noting that this restaurant closes when the fish sells out so it can be difficult to know when to go if you want to avoid the crowds.

written by





Futaba sushi
Address:121-8, Senbonminato-cho, Numazu
Tel:+81-55-962-0885
http://gourmet.yahoo.co.jp/0004834209/
Budget:Lunch:3,000 yen Dinner:6,000 yen
Open:Weekday:11:00am~8:00pm
Closed:Tue.
Overall evaluation:
Taste:
Atmosphere:
Service:
Value for money:

Please see a page here about detailed information on WIREDiCON.

No comments: